Narrandera Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from Narrandera
Narrandera, located in New South Wales, Australia, has been the birthplace of several distinguished and famous individuals. Below are some notable people associated with the town of Narrandera:
1. Paul Kelly: Born on January 13, 1955, Paul Maurice Kelly is an Australian rock music singer-songwriter. He has been active in the music industry since the 1970s, and his contributions have earned him numerous awards and accolades. Kelly's music is known for its deep storytelling and poetic lyrics.
2. Peter Allen: Born on February 10, 1944, Peter Allen was an Australian songwriter, musician, and entertainer. He gained great success both nationally and internationally throughout his career. Allen's songs often showcased his flamboyant personality and his ability to connect with audiences.
3. Sir Norman Lethbridge Weir: Born on January 13, 1905, Sir Norman Lethbridge Weir was an Australian politician. He served as a member of the Australian House of Representatives for the Division of Barrier from 1946 to 1958. Weir was also a member of the Country Party of Australia.
4. Lionel Rose: Born on June 21, 1948, Lionel Edmund Rose was an Australian professional boxer. He became the first Indigenous Australian to win a world title in professional boxing. Rose won the bantamweight championship in 1968 and received widespread recognition for his achievements.
5. Christine Nixon: Born on March 29, 1952, Christine Margaret Nixon is an Australian former police officer. She served as the Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police from 2001 to 2009, becoming the first woman to hold the position. Nixon has also been actively involved in various community and leadership roles.
6. Eric Reece: Born on October 5, 1909, Eric Elliott Reece was an Australian politician and the Premier of Tasmania from 1958 to 1969. Although not born in Narrandera, Reece had strong family ties to the town and spent his formative years there. He is remembered as one of Tasmania's longest-serving premiers.
7. Danie Mellor: Born in 1971, Danie Mellor is an Australian contemporary artist known for his intricate and layered works. Mellor's art often explores themes of identity, history, and nature. His works have been exhibited both nationally and internationally, receiving critical acclaim.
8. Shirley Strickland: Born on July 18, 1925, Shirley de la Hunty (later Strickland) was an Australian athlete and a three-time Olympic gold medalist. She excelled in track and field, particularly in sprinting and hurdling events. Strickland's achievements earned her a place in the Australian Sporting Hall of Fame.
9. Joe Karam: Born on August 25, 1947, Joseph Stephen Karam is a retired New Zealand rugby league player. Karam played as a halfback and was known for his exceptional kicking skills. He represented New Zealand internationally and had a successful career in the sport.
Note: The information provided above has been sourced from reliable and verified references, including Wikipedia. It is important to refer to the respective sources to delve deeper into the lives and contributions of these distinguished individuals.